Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Love and music

Another postcard that I picked up.

I don't even know what it means - except that it's a combination of nice words and ideas.

In what sense does love last forever? Only in the sense that God's love does endure, and will endure forever. The beautiful thing about Christianity is that right at the core is the Trinity - a relational dynamic of pure love between three distinct persons. That's what I believe is at the centre of the universe, anyway.

In what sense does music last forever? I'm not convinced it does - although it seems biblically that the most appropriate response to God's magnificent and awe-inspiring glory is to sing. So maybe music hasn't lasted forever, but from now on into eternity, there will be jubilant and satisfying praise sung in God's presence.

Given that this postcard is advertising MSO performances of 'West Side Story' and 'Romeo and Juliet' though, I don't think this is what they had in mind. But it got me thinking...

1 comment: