Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Getting started with everyday ethics

A friend asked me a few days ago what resources I'd recommend for 'living ethically'. That's a broad topic, and I've realized that most of my thinking goes into the choices we make everyday - at the shops, what transport we use, what clothes we wear, etc, impact people's lives around the world. Even though we don't ever see these people (and corporations usually prefer that consumers don't hear about the worst production practices), collectively we have a powerful voice, since businesses care about what consumers want. The common expression is that we vote with our dollars.

I've got heaps of ideas about where to start, but one favourite is this book:

Everyday Justice, by Julie Clawson

I like this book for a few reasons:
  • It starts with the message 'Don't panic' - which is so helpful in an area that can be overwhelming. In other words, it's a gracious approach.
  • It also begins with a discussion of what justice is biblically. I read it a while ago, and wasn't reading it critically, but this is a good place to start a book like this.
  • It chooses a manageable number (8) of everyday ethical issues, and explores each from the perspective of someone who has never thought about it.

The main drawback is that it's written by a US author for a US audience. Our situation is somewhat different, but it's still worth it for an introduction to everyday ethical choices - I'd just recommend doing some local research as well.

1 comment: